In conjunction with Aussie Rules Europe, the Zagreb Hawks will be hosting the 2009 EU Cup in Samobor on October 3-4, 2009. Entry is open to all national Australian football teams based in Europe.
As with previous EU Cups in London (2005), Hamburg (2007) and Prague (2008), the event will be played under the rules of 9-a-side football. The primary intention of this tournament is to showcase Aussie Rules with a reduction in the number of players, held on sporting fields that are readily found in nearly every corner of Europe; without any loss in the excitement, skill or quality of the 18-a-side version of our great game.
- The tournament will be played on Saturday.
- Teams play the other teams in their pool. Winners of each pool progress through to Semi Finals. Winners of both Semi Finals progress through to the Final.
- Matches will commence every 30 minutes to facilitate a carnival type atmosphere.
- Each match will consist of 2 x 12 minute halves, plus 3 minutes for half-time.
- Four points will be awarded for a win, two for a draw and none for a loss.
- Each team will play a minimum of 4 matches during the event, with the final number being determined once all entries have been received.
- Each team will play under their national banner and in their national colours.
- The national anthems of the competing teams will be played prior to the Grand Final.
- The winners of both semi-finals shall play in the EU Cup Final. The winner shall be awarded the EU Cup.
- A European team shall be announced at the conclusion of the event. Each player named in the team will receive a Team Europe jumper.